Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Organic Grill Review

Last night my husband and I went to Organic Grill in the E Village for dinner.  They're not quite vegan or even vegetarian (they serve fish) but they have mostly vegatarian/vegan options.  We ordered (menu):

  • OG Quesadilla (with daiya vegan cheese, dairy cheese was also available)
  • Tofu Masala
  • Vegan Perogies 
  • Mu 16 tea


I really enjoyed the OG Quesadilla, which was filled with grilled mushrooms, and I really liked the cashew sour cream it was served with.  I would order a side of the cashew sour cream next time and put it on anything I order!  The quesadilla had a nice smoky/grilled flavor (but not burnt, I hate that), and I didn't notice anything noteworthy about the vegan cheese, which I had never (knowingly) had before.  I'm used to just plain cheese quesadillas, and this one had a lot more going on in it beyond cheese, so it wasn't a really a good test of vegan cheese.

The Vegan Perogies were also very good, standard perogies on a plate of steamed kale (note to self, bring dental floss for afterward!).  This one was also served with the cashew sour cream, which really made it delish.  

The Tofu Masala was the weak point for me, I'm a huge fan of Indian food compared to other Indian food this was really, really SWEET, almost the way that in Americanized Chinese food sesame chicken is really sweet.   I expected this to be thick and curry-ish like tikka masala, but it was more liked sauteed tofu and vegatables in a curry broth, served with brown rice.  Oh, I just looked at the menu and it actually says tofu sauteed with curry spices, so maybe it was just my expectations that were off.

I love Mu 16 tea and it's really hard to find in stores for some reason!  I meant to buy some loose Mu 16 here so I could make more at home but I forgot to ask. If you're not familiar with this tea, there are 16 ingredients (hence the name) and it has a naturally sweet and a little spicy flavor.  Organic Grill served this in these nice French-press style pots, and the waiter was really good about hot water refills (I drink a lot of tea!) and the tea continued to make strong tea after several refills. At the end of the meal, I even asked for a to-go cup and drained the remaining tea into it so I could finish it off on my way out (I told you I was thrifty).

And speaking of thrifty, I didn't have a coupon or anything, but I signed up for their Frequent Diner Program, which means you get a free entree on your birthday, and you get a $25 voucher once you've spent $250 (so 10% off).  

Organic Grill

123 First Ave (btwn 7st. & St.Marks Place) 
New York, NY 10003 

No comments:

Post a Comment