Thursday, December 19, 2013

New Fruits

Since my husband and I have been in Jamaica, we've had the opportunity to try lots of fantastic new foods!  Here's a list fruits we were introduced to on this trip:
  • Ackee
  • Sour Sop (as juice)
  • June Plum (as juice)
  • Breadfruit
  • Coconut water with jelly (the coconuts here are different than the kind we get in NY, I think those are imported from Thailand) 
  • Sorrel (in a drink)
I've already written about Ackee, which tastes like cheese or egg (my husband thought our Ackee dish was was egg and cheese).

The Sour Sop Juice was from a grocery store, and it was so highly sweetened it was hard to tell what the fruit flavor alone was (there was also lime juice added).  It was a bit like lemonade with a slightly different tang. If I go into town again, I might try to buy a fresh sour sop just to try it fresh and unadulterated.  (And yes, that is a rainbow in the background of the photo above.)

I had June Plum juice at breakfast one day, which slightly reminded me of lemonade, but with a vague shiso-leaf-esque flavor that made it more refreshing. 

Breadfruit was served sliced into a cube, and it tasted like a slightly dry, more dense, and highly refined cube of Wonder (white) bread.

The Coconut Water and Jelly is similar to the Thai coconut, except it is not as sweet, and the meat (the jelly) is much lighter.


Sorrel is delicious in a drink, I had it as a sort of iced tea (it looks and tastes similar to hibiscus, which it is related to).  It is a bright red tangy drink, sweetened with sugar.  My husband has had a Sorrel cocktail every night we've been at this hotel!  Here's the hotel's recipe (in case you can't see the photo above):
Sorrel Daiquiri
2 oz Light Rum
1/2 oz lime juice
3 oz Sorrel Juice  
You can add ginger to make it taste even more Jamaican!

    

No comments:

Post a Comment