Thursday, December 28, 2017

Collard Greens and Kobocha, where have you been all my life?



I'm on a weird, super austere (vegan) diet right now, it is a 21-day "bland food" cleansing diet.  It's from the back of the Simple Recipes for Joy cookbook by Sharon Gannon, who is the founder of Jivamukti Yoga and Jivamuktea Cafe. The way it was pitched to me (during a random 15 minute pedicab ride by the driver) is that it resets your palate because there is no salt, no added sugar, and no oil. Breakfast is plain oatmeal, lunch is fresh veggies, dinner is unseasoned brown rice and lentil porridge (kitcheree) plus steamed vegetables. By the end of it you are really tasting and appreciating everything you eat. So it's kind of like a mindfulness exercise as well. I'm on day 11! 

Today I made this for dinner porridge accompaniment: 

  • Collard Greens - my grocery store has this in a bag, washed, chopped, and ready to cook! 
  • Kabocha Squash - chop it in half, then into wedges, then slice off the skin. Chop into cubes

Put the squash in a pot that has some room on top, add some water to the bottom and steam it for 10 minutes (or however long, depending on how small you chopped it). Stuff as much collard collard greens as you can on top and let all of that steam for another 5 minutes. 

Great with plain brown rice!!  I suspect you can make this all in one pot if you get the rice cooking, add the squash on top 10 minutes before the rice is done, and then collards 5 minutes before rice is done. I'm a big fan of lazy cooking.

I know some of you are thinking, how is this a recipe? Does she have a recipe for ice cubes as well? But I'm new to cooking and excited that I made anything! I'm starting to realize how easy the stuff I order at places like Angelica Kitchen (RIP) and Souen. This is halfway to a dragon bowl already.

No comments:

Post a Comment